The initiative to make the Fifth Edition of the World Forum of Science and Democracy was presented to the International Council of the World Social Forum in its meeting in Bahia. This initiative has the support from colleagues and networks from many countries, mainly from Brasil, USA and Europe.
Our proposal was wellcome and had the aproval from the members of the WSF International Council and from the WSF local comitee at Bahia. It´s time now yo start the organization process, for which we are making an international call to receive more international support and participation from all the continentes, and to give shape and contents: proposal of activities, workshops, roundtables, plenary sessions, etc., during the WFSD.
- Support, remote collaboration, participation in person
All the activities are self- managed, which means that this organization won´t have funds to afdford travel or accomodation. We would like to know those who can participate, to confirm wether you will be able to participate in person or remote (skype, streaming, videoconference, etc.).
- Proposal of activities for the WFSD
As a democratic forum involved in the struggle against capitalist science, there is not a closed agenda for debate, but there are pressing issues that may structure some axis of discussion, are, for example:
– science and technology as a common good
– decolonizing university and research institutions
– assessment and governance of emerging technologies
– public engagement in science and technology
– feminism science and technology
– science and technology for social development
– promoting community based participatory reserch
– persecution and criminalization of scientists involved in struggles for rights
– scientific research for what and for whom
– public policy of science and technology
– challenges of climate change, environment, poverty and armed conflict: what alternatives to the current research policies?
- Definition of dates, schedule and place of the event
World Social Forum is going to take place in Salvador de Bahia, Brazil, from 13th to 17th of march, at the facilities of the Federal University of Bahia (UFBA). Our WFSD will take place during this week, in dates to be define with the local committee of the WSF.
In relation to the schedules, we will have two complete days, divided each one in 2 modules of 4hs morning and afternoon,which should include the development of the proposed activity plus a brief summary report.
Each activity should last at most 2 hours, and we should reserve the final 2 hours (or more if necessary) for plenary session.
In this way we will have 7 sessions of activities plus 1 plenary session.
Support, questions, suggestions and proposal of activities can be sent to contact2018(at)fmsd-wfsd.org
Deadline for proposal of activities for the WFSD: January 28th, 2018.